The Rumriver Art Gallery was initiated to support and show local artists’ work. One issue many artists experience is where to show their work as gallery space can be limited, especially to those who are just starting. Our mission with the gallery is to support and show the artwork of local artists. The shows are changed every month, providing many opportunities throughout the year for artists to display their work. The Art Gallery brings the community together and creates a greater appreciation for art. Selected artwork may be available for sale.
Thank you so much to Jan Johansen for your generous donation and for sponsoring our art gallery!
Call for Entry – The Art of a Face: Saturday, March 4, 2023 – Saturday, March 25, 2023
Glenn Allenspach – Photography and Pots: Saturday, April 1, 2023 – Saturday, April 22, 2023
RRAC Student Show: Saturday, May 6, 2023 – Saturday, May 27, 2023
Connie Beckers: Saturday, June 3, 2023 – Saturday, June 24, 2023
Monday – Friday: 9:30am-3:00pm
Select Saturdays: time varies
Someone may be available beyond those hours and if there is a class scheduled on our CALENDAR there will likely be someone at the Art Center. Please call 763-323-8830 or e-mail email@example.com first to make arrangements if you would like to view the gallery outside of our office hours.
Current Gallery Show: The Art of a Face
Rumriver Art Center is excited to present a new gallery show titled The Art of a Face. The show’s opening will take place in the Jan Johansen Gallery at Rumriver Art Center (2665 4th Ave, Suite 103A) on Saturday, March 4, 2023, from 2-4.
The Art of a Face is our 3rd annual Spring Call for Entry, where regional artists were invited to submit up to 3 pieces of artwork relating to someone’s face. A local artist juried this show where 58 artists entered 110 pieces of artwork. The Art of a Face will showcase 53 pieces of artwork from a variety of mediums including acrylic, oil, watercolor, photography, fiber, mixed media, and clay.
Stop by and see how each artist interpreted the face in their own creative way.
The Art of a Face will remain in the Jan Johansen Gallery through March 25, 2023.
Next Gallery Show: Photography and Pots
Rumriver Art Center will present a new gallery show titled: Photography and Pots. The show’s opening will take place in the Jan Johansen Gallery (2665 4th Ave, Suite 103A) on Saturday, April 1, 2023, from 2pm-4pm. The art gallery show will feature the photographs and pottery of Glenn Allenspach. Glenn will also be hosting an Artist Talk on Thursday April 6, 6:30-8 and a Meet the Artist on Saturday, April 15th from 10-12 where attendees can meet Glenn will learn about him as an artist and the creative process he uses in creating his artwork.
Glenn Allenspach says he is a lifelong learner, he spent most of his adult life involved with the art, craft, and business of photography. He was a self-taught photographer for years, until he decided to return to school to freshen up his ideas and approach to the camera. He wound up at the University of Minnesota Minneapolis, where he chose to major in Studio Arts.
Still following the photography track, Glenn signed up for a basic wheel throwing course. The fuse was lit, and he began concentrating on pottery, while continuing to pursue photography. On one hand, wheel throwing, hand building, clay and glaze formulation, and kiln construction. On the other, the fine black and white print, and alternative photo processes and methods. Both mixed in with a healthy dose of art history, especially ceramics of China, Korea and Japan.
Glenn says of his creative process “I take a simple approach to both photography and pottery. Photographs that speak most directly to me show a clear, straightforward look at the world. The land, the people and nature are my subjects. The beauty of light and shadow at certain times of the day and year, or the connection between people, animals, and their surroundings provide little windows of time and space to contemplate.
Simple wheel thrown pots, crafted with an eye toward shape, size, balance and utility inform my pottery work. Yes, I collect and use the work of other potters as well as my own and hope that some in my audience in turn collect my pots. It’s an ongoing conversation about home, the comfort of a quiet (or lively) dinner with friends and family, and just surrounding yourself with things for the joy and beauty of the making and the using.”
Photography and Pots will remain in the Jan Johansen Gallery through April 30, 2023.
- Vitality Arts Gallery Show: June 16, 2018 – July 11, 2018
- Rum River Handweavers Guild 2018 Exhibition: November 3, 2018 – December 1, 2018
- Rumriver Art Center Holiday Show and Shop: December 12, 2018 – January 5, 2019
- A Sense of Place – The Art of Paul T. Boecher: January 12, 2019 – February 16, 2019
- Student Art Show – The Art of Rumriver Art Center Students: February 23, 2019 – March 23, 2019
- Artists Del Norte Spring Show: March 30, 2019 – April 27, 2019
- Vitality Arts Students Show: June 8, 2019 – July 13, 2019
- A Creativity of Muses – The Art of Delayne Hostetler: July 20, 2019 – August 17, 2019
- Rusty Fork – The Art of Kevin Eldstrom: August 24, 2019 – September 28, 2019
- Spread The Undead: October 12, 2019 – October 31, 2019
- Handweavers Guild – Weaving From The Heart: November 2, 2019 – November 30, 2019
- Vitality Arts Students Show: December 7, 2019 – December 13, 2019
- Rumriver Art Center Holiday Show and Shop: December 14, 2019 – January 5, 2020
- Acrylic Painting & Plein Air Painting Club: January 11, 2020 – February 12, 2020
- Thru the Years – The Art of Pam Devine: February 15, 2020 – March 11, 2020
- Sunshine Artists Show: March 2020 – May 30, 2020
- The Art of Julia Jaakola: June 6, 2020 – July 1, 2020
- Mentorship Program Show: July 11, 2020 – August 7, 2020
- Vitality Arts Virtual Gallery Show: Spring 2020
- Vitality Arts Virtual Gallery Show: Summer 2020
- Rumriver Art Center Holiday Show and Shop: November 2020 – February 2021
- Vitality Arts Virtual Gallery Show: Winter 2021
- Vitality Arts Virtual Gallery Show: Spring 2021
- Student Art Show 2021: May 22, 2021 – June 11, 2021
- Anita Cholewa & Cheryl Barr: June 19, 2021 – July 12, 2021
- Jerry Jorgenrud & Bill Hogan: July 17. 2021 – August 9, 2021
- Dianne Novak & Patricia Undis: August 14, 2021 – September 7, 2021
- Franny Hyde & Tanya Piatz: September 11, 2021 – September 30, 2021
- Call for Entry – Autumn in Anoka: October 9, 2021 – October 31, 2021
- Rum River Handweavers Guild: November 6, 2021 – November 26, 2021
- Holiday Show & Shop: December 4, 2021 – January 2, 2022
- The Undersea World of Larry Weinberg: Janaury 8 , 2022 – January 30, 2022
- Heather Barr: February 5, 2022 – February 27, 2022
- Carol Strait: March 5, 2022 – March 27, 2022
- Student Art Show 2022: April 2, 2022 – April 24, 2022
- All About Birds: Saturday, April 30, 2022 – Saturday, June 18, 2022
- Snapshots of a Mind Set Free (Cherene Bebeau and Christine Tauer Mentorship Show): Saturday, July 16, 2022 – Sunday, August 7, 2022
- Garden of Artful Delights (Franny Hyde & Ann Phillipi Mentorship Show): Saturday, August 13, 2022 – Thursday, September 1, 2022
- Call for Entry – Wild About Water: Saturday, September 10, 2022 – Saturday, October 1, 2022
- Chris Bowman – Chilling: Saturday, October 8, 2022 – Saturday, October 29, 2022
- Patti Hartwell – Uncovering Herself as an Artist: Saturday, November 5, 2022 – Saturday, November 26, 2022
- Holiday Show & Shop: Saturday, December 3, 2022 – Thursday, December 29, 2022
- Chad Niemeyer – An Exploration of the Temporary Permanence of Us: Saturday, January 7, 2023 – Saturday, February 25, 2023
Want to show your artwork in our gallery? CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION