The Rumriver Art Gallery was initiated to support and show local artists’ work. One issue many artists experience is where to show their work as gallery space can be limited, especially to those who are just starting. Our mission with the gallery is to support and show the artwork of local artists. The shows are changed every month, providing many opportunities throughout the year for artists to display their work. The Art Gallery brings the community together and creates a greater appreciation for art. Selected artwork may be available for sale.
- Anita Cholewa & Cheryl Barr: June 19, 2021 – July 12, 2021
- Bill Hogan & Jerry Jorgenrud: July 17, 2021 – August 9, 2021
- Dianne Novak & Patricia Undis: August 14, 2021 – September 7, 2021
- Franny Hyde & Tanya Tiatz: September 11, 2021 – September 30, 2021
- Call for Entry – Autumn in Anoka: October 9, 2021 – October 31, 2021
- Rum River Handweavers Guild: November 6, 2021 – November 28, 2021
Tuesday: 9am – 5pm
Saturday: Call Ahead
June Gallery Show: Changes
Rumriver Art Center will be hosting a new art show titled Changes in its gallery. The show opening is Saturday, June 19, 2021 from 2pm-4pm.
All visitors to the gallery show opening must schedule a time slot to view the show in order to ensure the practice of social distancing. Masks are encouraged, but optional. Time slots are 15 minutes in duration. Up to 12 people are allowed in the gallery at one time. There is no admission fee to view the show. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. CLICK HERE to reserve a timeslot.
The gallery show will feature the artwork of teaching artist and mentor, Cheryl Barr and her mentee, Anita Cholewa. They participated in Rumriver Art Center’s 2020-2021 Emerging Artist Mentorship Program for Older Adults Ages 55+. The purpose of the artist mentorship program is to provide older adults who never had the opportunity to find their artistic voice during their youth a chance to explore and find it now.
Applicants selected one medium they wanted to focus on during their mentorship experience, and they were paired with a local artist who is very skilled and experienced with their selected medium. The mentors and mentees met together multiple times a month at or outside the art center over a nine-month period. Mentors helped their mentee develop as an artist through assessing their strengths and weaknesses as well as through collaboration, the implementation of strategies, and evaluation along the way. Mentees worked with their mentors to set goals for themselves and for their work. This gallery show is a culminating event that showcases the artwork, growth, and accomplishments that took place during the mentorship program experience. Both Cheryl Barr (Mentor) and Anita Cholewa (Mentee) will be displaying their work in a shared gallery show.
About Cheryl Barr: Since childhood, Cheryl Barr has enjoyed drawing and painting. She took all the art courses offered in high school and got a B.A. degree with an art major. Now she is a freelance artist, illustrator, mentor, and instructor. Currently, she works primarily in watercolor but also enjoys using oil, acrylic, pastel, ink, and pencil (colored and graphite). Capturing life’s tender moments brings her great joy.
The mentorship program engaged Cheryl with others in art during the pandemic. Working one-on-one with her mentee has enabled her to explore skills in greater depth than when instructing a group with diverse styles. Cheryl says that conversations with Anita about her study, experience and questions have helped her grow as well. Because of COVID-19, Cheryl and Anita opted to meet outside during the first months of the program. Cheryl feels that this helped both her and Anita’s art as it forced them to capture the overall feel of a scene.
Cheryl’s personal theme for the show is “Seasons.” It includes four paintings of the four seasons in one spot but also illustrates seasons of life. The latter takes on a more personal nature with images of times and seasons in her life and those close to her. Many but not all of Cheryl’s watercolor paintings are done with a limited palette of two blues, two reds and two yellows. She is fascinated with the range of other colors possible through mixing. Though she is detail oriented and paints with a controlled style, she also employs the loose wet into wet approach within her paintings. The range of possibilities and mysterious nature of watercolor appeals to her. Cheryl starts with an idea but watercolor takes on a life of its own, often redirecting the outcome from original intent.
About Anita Cholewa: Anita Cholewa started drawing while in elementary school and worked her way to creating with pen and ink. She became involved with botanical illustration (for publication) while pursuing a professional degree. She recently started working in watercolors. The mentorship program pushed her along to new goals, including becoming more effective with watercolor, developing greater control of its characteristics (especially the use of washes), and developing a style that moved beyond capturing fine details. Anita is inspired by nature and especially by nature’s subtleties and nuances. Her gallery show artwork is a variety of watercolor paintings that depict nature’s changing moods across landscapes.
We are very proud and excited to feature Cheryl Barr’s and Anita Cholewa’s talents in our art gallery. Please join us in the celebration of their work. The show will be on display through July 12, 2021.
- Vitality Arts Gallery Show: June 16, 2018 – July 11, 2018
- Rum River Handweavers Guild 2018 Exhibition: November 3, 2018 – December 1, 2018
- Rumriver Art Center Holiday Show and Shop: December 12, 2018 – January 5, 2019
- A Sense of Place – The Art of Paul T. Boecher: January 12, 2019 – February 16, 2019
- Student Art Show – The Art of Rumriver Art Center Students: February 23, 2019 – March 23, 2019
- Artists Del Norte Spring Show: March 30, 2019 – April 27, 2019
- Vitality Arts Students Show: June 8, 2019 – July 13, 2019
- A Creativity of Muses – The Art of Delayne Hostetler: July 20, 2019 – August 17, 2019
- Rusty Fork – The Art of Kevin Eldstrom: August 24, 2019 – September 28, 2019
- Spread The Undead: October 12, 2019 – October 31, 2019
- Handweavers Guild – Weaving From The Heart: November 2, 2019 – November 30, 2019
- Vitality Arts Students Show: December 7, 2019 – December 13, 2019
- Rumriver Art Center Holiday Show and Shop: December 14, 2019 – January 5, 2020
- Acrylic Painting & Plein Air Painting Club: January 11, 2020 – February 12, 2020
- Thru the Years – The Art of Pam Devine: February 15, 2020 – March 11, 2020
- Sunshine Artists Show: March 2020 – May 30, 2020
- The Art of Julia Jaakola: June 6, 2020 – July 1, 2020
- Mentorship Program Show: July 11, 2020 – August 7, 2020
- Vitality Arts Virtual Gallery Show: Spring 2020
- Vitality Arts Virtual Gallery Show: Summer 2020
- Rumriver Art Center Holiday Show and Shop: November 2020 – February 2021
- Vitality Arts Virtual Gallery Show: Winter 2021
- Vitality Arts Virtual Gallery Show: Spring 2021
- Student Art Show 2021: May 22, 2021 – June 11, 2021
Want to show your artwork in our gallery? CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION